This protein – packed banana bread is gluten and refined sugar free, and is a great way to use up those over-ripe bananas.
- ½ cup of grass-fed organic butter or organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- ½ teaspoon of gluten-free baking powder
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 cup of mashed ripe banana
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup unbleached white spelt flour
- 1 cup of almond meal
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tablespoons of milk (coconut, oat, almond or dairy)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Lightly grease your cake tin (I use a 20 x 20cm cake tin for a shorter banana bread or a 20 x 12 cm for a taller banana bread.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter/oil, honey, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Add the banana, milk and eggs and mix well.
- Add spelt flour and almond meal and gently mix until just combined and the batter looks smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and tap a few times on bench to smooth out the batter. Bake for 30 – 40mins or until brown on top and springy to touch.
- Use a cake tester or wooden skewer inserted into to the middle to gauge whether the cake is cooked (it should come out clean when it is ready).
- Once taken out of the oven, leave to cool for 10 mins before removing it from the pan.
Tip:This cake freezes well but will probably be eaten before you even get a chance to store it away!