These are my go to snacks when I am stressed out and have a sweet craving. The therapeutic ingredients (raw cacao and cinnamon are guaranteed to nourish your nervous system, calm your frazzled nerves and balance your blood sugar whilst giving you an energy boost.)
- 10 pitted organic medjool dates (look for the really soft gooey ones which are best for this recipe)
- 1 cup of finely chopped nuts (I usually use soft nuts such as walnuts, brazil nuts or pecans)
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon of cold pressed organic coconut oil melted
- ½ cup shredded coconut to roll the balls in
- Place the dates in a bowl and pour over 1 – 2 tablespoons of filtered water (slightly warmed is best). Set aside for 10 mins to soften.
- In another bowl, combine the chopped nuts, cinnamon, Himalayan salt and raw cacao. Mix to combine.
- Once the dates have softened, discard the water. Roughly chop them and add them to the dry mixture along with the melted coconut oil.
- Use your (clean!) hands to combine all ingredients together. Take a small amount of the mixture and roll into a ball.
- Coat the balls in the coconut and put into a glass storage container lined with baking paper. Chill for around 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
These balls freeze very well. I tend to grab one out of the freezer on my way out in the morning and it is thawed in under an hour.
Tip: If you have any left over coconut, don’t throw it out. It can be frozen and used for the next batch. Or toasted in a pan and sprinkled over the Moreish Overnight Muesli to give it an added crunch.