My gorgeous fiancé Jaime loves muesli. It took me ages to come up with a recipe that he enjoyed as much as the conventional supermarket products (but which is fruit free and low in sugar). The below recipe is just a guide. Feel free to try adding different nuts or some sulphur – free fruit if you like a bit more sweetness in the morning.
- 1 and a half cups of natural organic rolled oats
- 1/3 cup natural almonds
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (the real stuff!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all dry ingredients together except cinnamon.
- Take out about half a cup of the mixed dry ingredients and put in a small bowl with the melted coconut oil, cinnamon and maple syrup. Mix well and spread out evenly on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in the oven on a low heat (120- 160 degrees celsius) for 20 mins (keep checking to make sure it does not burn). Allow to cool and add to the rest of the mixture.
Tip: Combining the toasted muesli with the raw means that you get the lovely slightly sweet crunch combined with the benefits of the other ingredients in a raw form.
If you’re a muesli lover you might also like my recipe for Moreish Overnight Muesli. Yum!