I’m not a big drinker but enjoy a cocktail (or glass of bubbly) every now and then. This drink is floral, sweet and delicious (and I swear that the mood – enhancing lavender and antioxidant rich blueberries help combat a hangover!).
Lavender Sugar Syrup
This deliciously floral syrup is a perfect addition to cocktails or try adding some to sparkling mineral water for an uplifting afternoon drink.
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of organic dried lavender flowers
- 1 and a half cups of raw castor sugar
- 1 cup of filtered water
- Place water and dried lavender in a clean saucepan and gently bring to the boil.
- Add in the sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and allow to cool for at least an hour.
- Strain the liquid through a fine strainer or muslin cloth and pour into a sterilised airtight bottle and keep in the fridge to use as needed. (It is delicious drizzled over coconut ice cream with pancakes!)
This syrup will keep well in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I sometimes also freeze a portion in ice block trays which can be added to cocktails or mocktails as desired.
- 30ml good quality vodka
- 1 chilled tin of lychees with syrup
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh blueberries washed
- Lavender sugar syrup
- Mint to garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, mix together 30ml of vodka, 60ml of the lychee syrup, 1 cup of ice, 1 tablespoon of blueberries and 30ml of the lavender sugar syrup.
- Shake well for a least a minute.
- Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a couple of blueberries, 1 lychee and a spring of lavender.
Sit back and enjoy!